Specific Precautions to Consider for Tube Feedings & PediaSmart®
- Unlike ready-to-feed products, powdered formulas are not sterile. Mixing PediaSmart® should be done with great care regarding cleanliness and sterility of all measuring and mixing equipment to avoid any contamination.*
- To prevent tube clogging, the mixing instructions for PediaSmart® suggest use of a whisk or blender to ensure that all powder is dissolved in the water.
- The recommended hang time for powder formulations, such as PediaSmart®, is no longer than 4 hours.
- Use of sterile water to prepare PediaSmart® for tube feeding purposes is recommended.
- PediaSmart® is not isotonic and may require starting with a slow drip and may require attention to tolerance and monitoring of metabolic status.
For more information including osmolality and nutrition information please see the Tube Feeding Sheet below.
As with all enteral feeding practices, please follow the Enteral Nutrition Practice Recommendations published on January 27, 2009 by the Enteral Nutrition Practice Recommendations Task Force and the A.S.P.E.N. Board of Directors.